Those We Have Lost: Southbury Road, Enfield

1. Rob Bernard says:

Absolutely superbly written piece. Massive sympathies to all Enfield fans. I was a Scarborough fan and now follow Scarborough Athletic. I went to Southbury Road on a few occasions. It was a proper ground.

I hope that the hatchets can be buried, the two Enfield clubs unite and they return to their previous status one day.

2. The Cold End says:

Very nice writing. I have put a link up to this on my webpage for you.

Nice memories!

3. enfield town says:

that was great reading that some of it bit before my time but my first game was at southbury road and i now follow enfield town

4. Enfield_Massive says:

why did you betray efc and turn to etfc?

5. Bernard says:

Enjoyed the read – brought back my memories of the Manor ground at Oxford (Headington in my day).

What ever happened to your neighbours in the Avenue?

6. Mum & Dad says:

Enjoyed reading about Enfield Football Club. Old neighbour used to go there when it was referred to as Cherry Orchard Lane, reference to what in Victorian times was there. Brought back loads of memories of “good old Days”

7. Paul says:

Occasionally, I pass by Southbury Road and just like you, the memories flood back…it was indeed like home, at least for a few hours on a Saturday or a Tuesday night. I was 10 yr old the first time I ever saw Enfield FC. That was at Wembley when my Dad took me to see Enfield lose 2-0 to Hendon in the FA Amateur Cup Final. Tony Bass scored for Hendon and of course a few year later he and Johnny Bishop were scoring goals for Enfield for fun. I began watching Enfield week in week out in 1974. First game I saw there…Enfield beat Dover 2-1. Les Eason scored the winner. I remember an injury time equaliser scored against Wycombe, much to the dread of Wycombe’s travelling support. The Wimbledon game you mention…I remember too…and that was the second time we beat them in the FA Cup at Southbury Road. Do you remember the guy with the white and black dog that eventually wore a blue EFC dog coat and used to jump and bark every time Es scored? The programmes that always looked more or less the same…the bovril, tea, dodgy PA that used to fart (in the final seasons), I enjoyed the programme hut and the big EFC fan who used to curse every opposing player and ref. Tony jennings was my boyhood hero and I remember Dennis Gill – a great striker – break his leg at Oxford City and end his promising career. I can still hear the snap of bone. I always carried a proud feeling that my club Enfield were the biggest small club in the country, especially when George Borg, Bailey, St Hilaire and King were doing their stuff. So the end of Enfield FC at Southbury Road and the demise since then has been hard to take. I did try Boring Wood but it wasn’t the same and Ware (where?) was a step too far. Good luck to ETFC but I can’t quite work up any enthusiasm. Strange how the past comes back though…what made me search and come across this posting today? Well, Paul Furlong, who started his career at Enfield, jogged past my house this morning. My son tells me his son goes to the local school…and of course Paul is still playing…for Barnet…so in a way, Southbury Road and Enfield FC still lives – and so thanks for your posting which was very well written and enjoyable.

8. Martin Day says:

Thanks for publishing your memories. I also first watched Enfield when I was about 10. My parents took me to the Amateur Cup Final at Wembley in 1964 when the E’s lost to Crook Town, and our goalkeeper played the second half as a forward having broken his arm in the first half – no substitutes back then!

I watched virtually every game home and away from 1966 until I moved to Milton Keynes in 1978. I still went to all the important cup games for another 10 years or so even after moving to Nottingham, and eventually Cardiff.

Enfield were a great team to warch back then. Great players come to mind – my favorites included:

Roger Day
    Steve king
    Noel Ashford
    Les Tilley
    Nicky Ironton
    Mickey O’Sullivan
    Andy Williams
    Ray Hill (is a demon as the chant used to go)
    Tont Bass
    Tony Harding
    Tony Turvey

There were so many I could go on and on – and most of those mentioned were amateur or non-league internationals. However, probably the best player of all was Tony Jennings – “poached” from Hendon along with Derek Baker and another player, but I can’t recall who – can anyone remember? I think he was a full back, Les Eason perhaps, or was it the tallest of centre forwards, Tony Bass? My memory is staring to fade, but I still remember the huge pleasure, excitement, and sometimes frustration I got from supporting Enfield at Southbury Road and all over the country.

I also remember Dennis Gill as the fstest forward I ever saw. He was also sent off more often than anyone else I can remember! I seem to think I didn’t see him play again after he was run into by a car while he was pushing a friends car that had broken down!

Worst times were being at Highgate United when one of their players was struck by lightning and died, and losing to Scarborough in a two leg FA Trophy semi-final. And, of course, when many of my heroes left en-masse to go with manager Tommy Lawrence to Slough Town. Treachery! (Enfield would never have tempted top players from other clubs with money, except perhaps Tony Jennings, Ken Gray, John Butterfield, etc, etc).

Best times were most of the time:

Taking 20 or more coachloads of supporters to Maine Road to watch them win their first FA Amateur Cup in a replay against Skelmersdale Utd.

Taking a chartered plane from Luton to Milan to watch them win the European Amateur Cup against Ponte san Pietro.

Beating Wycombe Wanderers to win the league at Wycombe’s old sloping ground.

Beating Football League teams in the FA Cup (including hammering Wimbledon in their first year in the league.

It made me enourmously sad to pass by the former site of “The Stadium” recently and to see no sign to show that this was the location for all those great times I had. Not even the new road names.

I called my son Roger (surname being Day) after the great E’s player, captain, and England captain roger Day. Unfortunately my son never liked football!

Enjoy the memories and move on.

9. Paul says:

Yes, I remember Roger Day when he returned to Enfield in the mid 1970s, shoring up the midfield – sometimes after Micky O’Sullivan had received his marching orders from the ref!

10. Dub says:

Thanks for posting that, a cracking little piece about a place I knew so well when I was growing up. I’ve many fond memories of Southbury Road and it chokes me when you see what’s in its place now. A little piece of culture died when the ground closed its doors for the last time. Cheers,

11. Adam says:

Cracking Read, brought back many old memories, lots of bad ones too as a Barnet fan. Many defeats at Christmas time, when Enfield were the best non league team.
    Its funny how Barnet got so many of those Enfield stars and got league status, Steve King, Nicky Ironton, Noel Ashford and now Paul Furlong

12. Gareth Payne says:

My uncle JOHN PAYNE was an efc player. He played for britain and watford too. But he died early aged just 43. He was a man mountain that become vegetated with motorneuron diseas. I was a massive supporter of EFC and although still look at the results for EFTC I am saddened, and disgusted to think of what my poor uncle would have had to look at from above. He was a proud EFC player and passed up the opportunity to play pro to stay with EFC. Yet the club he gave his life for, is now nothing more than TGI Fridays and cinema etc. The chairman was dissloyal to the club, fans and of coarse the game. I am sorry to all the fans, our club has died, but won’t be forgotten. Neither will my uncle.

13. peter mcgillicuddy says:

wonderful reading to a club close to my heart. very proud too have played with some of the countries best non league players,and bepart of two championships in 1976 and 1977. even though i would probale better known for my time with leatherhead in1975. thank you enfield fc. for memories i wont forget. regards peter mack.

14. tony b says:

where is joey adams?

15. tony b says:

where is joey adams ?

16. George Warner says:

I have just stumbled on this site and realy like the comments published. My uncle lived at 40 Southbury Rd and from being a small child upto a 24 year old follwed Enfield from a distance except of course when we visited London.
    In 1964, 1965 I played for Brent Green in the PARTHENON Lge and I can remember going to Sunderland in the Amatuer Cup, Semi ?. I lived in Hendon at the time.
    Great days at the Ground seeing all sorts of teams even when I played in London.

17. Roy Hills says:

As a local Enfield boy (born there in 1944) the write-ups on Enfield FC brought back very happy memories. However I must add that as both an Arsenal fanatic and a Saturday league player my chances to visit the Southbury stadium were limited. However what I really wanted to do was mention to Gareth Payne that I knew his Uncle John when he was a boy in the days before he played for Enfield FC. When he was probably about 12 or so he would join us for a kick about in Tuckers Field and he could dribble for England! No-one could get the ball of him and he would waltz the ball around the goalkeeper 5 or 6 times before slotting the ball into the goal. Funny the things you remember some 50 plus years later but I recall he always wore fancy silky type white shorts in those days. We enjoyed our kick abouts with John for a few years or so and me and my mates were in awe of his special talents. I have to say that he was a very nice guy.

18. Stephen Saunders says:

Superb writing I would have been 6 at my first game in 1975 so a very similar time to yourself.I lived in leighton road bush hill park and visited the percival road club frequently.Your peice has really captured the magic of the place and the excitement it can give to a fan.I took my young son West Ham for a season but we have watched Stevenage for a while and I hope he will look back on these days with fondness.I was taken to Spurs by my dad and Enfield by my grandad and it has given me a love of football but i certainly miss those days of piled up practise goals crackly loudspeakers and broken window paynes and rows of wooden seats in the main stand .It may not pass todays health and safety but it was real and I would take that any day.

19. Gary jennings says:

What a lovely piece of writing. Also sad to be reminded of the loss of John p. My dad Tony Jennings loved efc and is now very unwell so cannot tell me his stories anymore. I remember going to the ground as a kid and thinking what a majestic old place, now it’s gone.

20. kenny gaine says:

played for slough town & enfield nice to read about them times

21. roy cahill says:

memories. 1996 1997, Roy’s Deli burger bar inside the sportsmans bar. great memories for 2 seasons. also being involved with the starlight rooms with hussef, angelo, maria,mario,maria the air hostess. from hot ham rolls, great memories with football team leroy may name stands out. george borg manaqer at the time.arsenal reserves playing.also training with with team great memories. its a shame. not forgetting big terry with the pony tail ( the kitman ). only like yesterday. the forgoten scouser roy cahill.

22. Steve Small says:

Only just found the article and comments and what wonderful memories they brought back. I first watched the E’s in 1968 and never missed a match in the 1970’s, helping to run the programme hut behind the goal with Paul Martin. Like Martin Day I remember flying to Milan with Dan Air for 15 guineas as I recall (Martin did you go to the lakeside hotel or stay at the airport when we were delayed by fog ?), I also made it to Teramo and Pistoiese in 1976 and being stuck in the dressing rooms after the game with the team until the police got us out of the ground in police cars – what memories !

As for players I remember John Payne and Tony Jennings as great players and captains, Tony presented me with an engraved pint jug at Carshalton for my last match before moving to Bristol in 1980, I was a bit awestruck at the time….

We had some great away trips as well to Marine, Whitley Bay, Blyth Spartans, Lancaster City as well as the annual pub crawls to the old Oxford City ground from the railway station.

A lovely article and so sad to see how the club finally disappeared; like others I wouldn’t want to see the site now…. Thinking about the Starlight rooms, I remember seeing the great Tommy Cooper there one night, I was crying my eyes out with laughter he was so funny, just one of some very big acts who performed there at the start. They were the days and while they may be gone the memories will remain for so many old fans.

23. mel lawrence says:

i played alongside john payne at enfield what a great bloke.and remember tony jennings from my days at leytonstone, sorry to hear he is unwell.and peter mack i remember you from spurs as youngsters

24. mel lawrence says:

yes enfield fc was a special place.

25. Peter McGillicuddy says:

Sorry to hear about my old team mate jenno). That’s the legend Tony Jennings . It’s a shame we have to get old. He was a leader of men and nobody messed with him. I remember him grabbing me by the throat up against the dressing room door for not pulling my weight. I hope his wife and children are ok. Regards peter McGillicuddy .

26. Mick O'Sullivan says:

I was priviledged to play almost 400 games for the E’s at Southbury Road in the 70’s and early 80’s when we feared no-one and regularly knocked League sides out of the FA Cup. What a great club Enfield was and what a waste when it was dumped.
    I played with two of your contributors, Peter Mac and Kenny Gaine both great players and top blokes. I wonder if Peter Mac remembersthe day he and I had one of those cartoon collisions both going for a high ball at Southbury Road, or the “micro trunks” we wore on the beach in Rimini when we were in Italy for the ill-fated Anglo-Italian Tournament of 1976. Kenny and I also played together at Wembley in the Amateur Cup Final of 1973 for Slough.
    There were so many talented players coaches and managers at Enfield in those days and I was very lucky to play with and for many of them. Johnny Bishop was my mucker at Enfield and Lawrie Churchill and I have been best friends for over 30 years. Tony Jennings has been struck down with serious illness and it has been a tough time for his family – what a great player and captain he was.
    In answer to a couple of the qyeries raised by earlier contributors, the thirdplayer to come with Jenno Derek Baker from Hendon was Phil Fry a cultured left back. Regarding Joey Adams, I spoke to him about 4 years ago and he was talking of emigrating to Australia (or was it Canada).
    There were too many good players to name here but ,with apologies to any I might miss some, in addition to those named above, who I was proud to call teammates included Mickey Lowe, Willie Carrick, Terry Moore, Mark Wright, John Tone, Roger Wade, Brian Wilson, Keith Elley, Dave Yerby, Fred Callaghan (as player and manager), Tony Gibson, Alf D’Arcy, Roger Day, Dennis Gill, Keith Searle, Tony Bass, Stevie King, Ronnie Howells, Les Eason, John Borland, Norman Milne, Dave Lawrence, etc., etc.
    Of all the managers and coaches I played under I would have to pick out Lawrie Churchill, Ted Hardy and the incomparible Tommy Lawrence.
    It would be great to hear the views of some of those mentioned above and of course the supporters who were so loyal through thick and thin.

27. Gary jennings says:

Micky who last posted – you have been so supportive of the family during Dads illness. Thank you so much. I really hope other ex players can build up thoughts and memories to share on this site. I have a good collection of photos and programmes especially of the cups runs and would like to read of any memories fans and ex players have, it’s important to keep this going. Was there ever a non league club which was so dominant? Maybe Barnet in later years with Barry Fry and Stan Flashman at the helm. Did anyone see my Godfather Gary Hand play in those days Wycombe and Hendon apparently a great full back.

28. Peter McGillicuddy says:

Micky o Sullivan what great player you were, I don’t remember
    A collision with you, as I was never brave enough to attack the ball like you. I would have got out of the way if I’d seen you coming. But I do remember the swimming trunks, what there was of them. A great time had by all .I’m getting over a heart attack, but still breathing. Take care Mick. All the best macky.

29. Peter McGillicuddy says:

Sully you can contact me on *** macky

30. Ian says:

Peter, I’ll take your mobile number out of this but will email Mickey the number to ensure that he gets it (everyone posts with an email address). I hope you’re on the mend, by the way – best of luck with your health.

Mickey, I was with my family at the weekend and my dad revealed that, in about 1978, my elder sister wore a locket around her neck with your picture in it!

(I’m sure that she will be delighted with me revealing that!)

31. Keith Entwisle says:

Have to say just stumbled on this website and reading all the blogs it has brought back happy memories of all those players you have all listed. Do you remember that terrible head injury to Tomm Lawrence, oh what a terrific no 9. Do you remember Alf Darcy with his blindside tackles! Memory games for me were both amateur cup finals at Wembley, replays against Skelmersdale at Maine Road Manchester with 65,000. Watching us in 1964 against Reading away in the FA Cup and being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2. If I remember we lost 4-2 after extra time in an evening match. Our floodlights at the time were only just good enough as being on the sides they did not light the corners very well.
    Sadness was atttending the abandoned match at Highgate United when there was flash lightening and one of their player’s died. I went to the replay at Aston Villa and we won 4-0 in front of a 40,000 crowd. Oh the memories, today I watch Stevenage Boro and their progress reminds me of Enfield but hopefully not going the same route!.

32. Retiredblue says:

Good God what brilliant thread. I thought I was one of the few oldies that still think so fondly of many happy years watching the E’s. My first match at the Stadium was 1958 against Barnet and I have to say the following 40 odd years were mainly good days. So many memories, so many great players. One of my favourites was Ray Hill, mainly because he turned from villain to hero in the space of a season. From memory he was the brother in law of either Tommy Lawrence or Alf D’arcy and many thought he was in the team because of that. When the E’s plyed against Sutton in the first round of the Amatuer Cup in 1967 the fans were singing “We’ll be running round Wembley without Hill” yet at the end of that campaign he scored 2 goals in the replay at Maine Road!! Many previous posters have mentioned some of the great E’s players of the past and I can’t add much more to the list but I would say the Stevie King was probably the best and consistently good player of his era and he and Noel Ashford were a real strike force to be feared. Also previous posters mentioned great away days, especially Amatuer Cup ties in the North, bearing in mind this was pre-Alliance days so you rarely played these teams. The matches in the North East when supporters coaches left the Stadium on a Friday night to get to the North East and being “Cocky Cockneys” we were always in for a “warm” welcome!! It was also mentioned in a previous post the guy with the black and White dog, who always went mental and barked when Enfield scored, I also remember unfortunately the same guy, still with his dog, being put on his arse by a Hereford fan the day they decided to cause trouble in a cup tie. Also on the same note, what was it with matcheqs against Wealdstone in the early 80’s and all the associated trouble? Never knew of much history between the two previously but those games were always volatile on and off the pitch. Finally like all likeminded supporters, the demise and consequent fall outs bring nothing but sadness when I look back on those events but as they say time moves on and although I don’t live in the area any longer it’s great to see an Enfield side back in the town and close to the spiritual home of Southbury Road?

33. Keith Entwisle says:

I also remember Ray Hill I think he came from Cheshunt club. Started badly and we all disliked him but he did turn out for the good. Tall and lanky a bit like Peter Crouch today. Gordon Sedgley was also a good full back and consistent most of the time. Does anyone remember the match when we played Grays Athletic at home we beat them 13-0 and Grays formed a line and clapped Enfield off the pitch. It was towards the end of the season and we had already won the league with four or five games to go, happy memories what a team that was.

34. Joe Calvo says:

HI, does anyone know where Noel Ashford is living presently? I lost touch with him. He was my brothers
    high school football coach.

35. David Greenwood says:

Just found this and what memories it brought back. I first went to see Enfield in 1964 and supported them for about 6 or 7 of their greatest years. Three Amateur Cup Finals (2 victories; innumerable Isthmian League titles. They were known as the Leeds United of Amateur football – we always took that as a compliment to our virtual invincibility. Special memories was Ian Wolstenholme saving a penalty in the last minute of extra time at the 1967 Amateur cup final, earning a replay at Maine Road (which we won easily). There were 80,000 people at Wembley that day – people forget what a great ciompetition the Amateur Cup was. Other memories – Malcolm Mitchell breaking his arm in an earlier Amateur Cup Final – no substitutes in those days, a 2-1 defeat felt almost like a victory. Then a 5-1 slaughter of Dagenham , with the great John Connell (a little genius) scoring twice. Its such a shame to hear how the club fell from grace – they so nearly got into the Football League, what might have happened then ?

36. David Greenwood says:

Anyone remember Terry Howard ? Now he could play – when he wasn’t working at Billingsgate, that is.

37. Keith Entwisle says:

Terry Howard was a stocky outside left and indeed he did work at Billingsgate. Many times he would pass all defenders and score or pass the ball to teh scorer. I think the outside right was Roy Thomas and he was good. I too went to Maine Road and we beat Skelmersdale (?) what happened to them? Steve Heighway played for them before he went to Liverpool.brought the Amateur Cup back. Yes Enfield missed out on the Football League because anyone at the bottom of Division 4 just got relected by the rest of the clubs, just as well it changed, now look at Luton, Grimsby, Stockport, Southport etc etc. My club today is Stevenage and look how they have benefitted that’s for sure.

38. mel lawrence says:

to gary jennings, i did play in same enfield side as gary hand, a very accomplished player.

39. Keith Entwisle says:

I have been clearing my loft, one of those jobs I have promised myself for many years. I found loads and loads of old Enfield programmes from late 60’s and 70’s including away games as well. No problem at 6d a time rather than £3 today! Ah the memories, wonder if thay are worth anything?

40. Paul says:

I was very saddened to hear that Tony Jennings is ill.
    As a young lad, Tony was my football hero, a terrific captain and defender. I remember Tony asked me to pass a ball back to him over 20 yards at Kingstonian during the pre-match warm-ip. I fizzed it perfectly back in front of him and Tony said: ‘Great ball, son!” I was thrilled and still cherish that childhood memory.
    I’m now a tour guide at our national stadium and in the England dressing room a chap said he’d played at the old stadium in the 1972 Enfield v Hendon FA Amateur Cup Final….it turned out he was Gary Hand. We had a good chat…as that was the first ever Enfield game I’d gone to see as a kid.
    Good to see Peter Mack on here, I remember a great goal he scored against Clapton at Southbury Road….and Micky O’Sullivan…tough as nails, and ‘Brian Wilson’s after you’….!
    Keith Searle goals at Northampton Town in the FA Cup…so many memories.

41. tony ward says:

I was a Referee for many Enfield matches, during that great period, we used to call them the Manchester United of Non League Football.
    SAd to hear about Tony Jennings, started at Leytonstone as a right back, then to Hendon and on to Enfiield as a central defender, so quick. Also a great guy to Referee, took full responsibilty for his team on the field, a true leader. I think though that the best player I Refereed for Enfield was Alf Darcy.
    One out of town Ref tried to get the Dog removed, but was soon put right by the local linesmen.
    I recall the match v a full Spurs X1 that was the opening game for the Starlight rooms, then afterwards to the Club, with Caberat by Don Mclean, happy days.

42. George Berryman says:

So sad to hear about tony was a great leader. I was lucky enough to have played with him at Leytonstone and Enfield for a very short time stiil remember my first time abroard in Spain with him only 16 at the time also hello to Peter Mack. Great site great memories

43. mel lawrence says:

o good to hear you are still about george, hope you are well,

so good to see you on this site george,hope you are well, i was only thinking the other day about when we joined cheshunt together under john drabwell and knocked wycombe wanderers out of amateur cup at loakes park, what a game, best wishes from mel.

44. Steve says:

Fantastic memories,I used to watch the E,s with my dad and grandad throughout the 70,s ,home and away ,my grandad used to run the supporters coaches .Used to love it ,I remember Johhny Brookes as a young boy,great to see the old names,made me very nostalgic .Great times and wonderful
    memories.Blyth Spartans,Barnsley,port vale,barrow and many many more,ohh I remember the guy with his collie dog too.thanks

45. Roy Thomas says:

I love the idea of this site and the resulting article about Enfield FC. Paul’s contribution helped restore lots of memories also.
    I’m a lifelong Spurs fan with a close affection for Enfield FC, in my hometown until 1971.
    My fondest memory was “The Floodlight Inauguration” fixture at Southbury Road, sometime in the 60’s. Enfield FC v Tottenham Hotspur. During the second half, a dense fog came down, reducing the visibility on the pitch. The referee allowed play to continue for the full 90 minutes. The result was unimportant then and now it’s forgotten. It was a great night out !!!
    Enfield FC also had a Nightclub “The Starlight Room” where many Top Stars performed. I suppose that also has disappeared.

If you’re looking for suggested Football Clubs as a subject, Wimbledon must be exciting enough to warrant some interest.

46. Keith Entwisle says:

Re comment from Roy Thomas, I too remember that inaugural night when the floodlights were switched on it was memorable that’s for sure. Why on earth the lights were down both sides and not in the corners was beyond me! I remember the corners were quite dark. I did like those Tuesday night games, it broke up the week. I guess you are not the Roy Thomas who used to play on the right wing?!
    Just shows what a screw up the owners at the time made and let the club go, Enfield were top of their game in the 60’s /70’s and great to have the memories.

47. Noel Ashford says:

Been reading all of the posts, and they brought back some great memories to me. Jenno was and will always be the man! I was very fortunate to play with some great players, that would have made fortune in today’s market.
    So sad to read about everything that has happened. We were a top club. Run by top people.
    The Starlight Romms was the best. Remember having a drink with Lulu after a great Trophy result.
    I have now been living in the USA for over 20 years and doing okay. Had leukemia twice, and a transplant in 2007, but still alive and kicking.
    Have 2 boys, aged 20 and 15.
    Have Been trying to obtain video of the Barnsley away FA Cup game, and the famous 7-0 FA Cup victory up the road at Barnet. If anyone can help, would be appreciated.
    Roll on the E’s.
    Noel Ashford

48. Ray says:

I’m just a fan, since 1964 but my uncle Tom (Unwin) was Chairman during arguably the most successful times. Unfortunately he and my aunt Dot have both long passed away. Not sure whether the Roy Thomas entry is from the player but he was at the recent Town v Hendon match looking fit and not at all bad for a player I first watched almost 50 years ago! So many fantastic players it’s hard to pick one out as the best but John Payne and Tony Jennings are right up there. Thanks for the great memories.

49. Paul Reed says:

Hi Noel,

Many great memories from my early youth, I was a mascot on many an occasion!

Now a director at Enfield Town where there are still many old faces coming to watch us, all of who will be delighted to hear that you’re doing well.

There is footage of the Barnsley game in existence and we had an evening not so long ago where Eddie, Kingy and a few of the other legends came along and talked us through that day.

I will arrange for a copy of the DVD to be sent to you. Perhaps the guys on this site could pass you on my email address so we can sort out details.

50. Ian says:

Paul, leave it with me and I’ll get an email over to him later today with your details.

1. July 24, 2009

[…] Those We Have Lost: Southbury Road, Enfield (twohundredpercent) “This piece is the first of a series of articles intended as personal recollections of some of our lost football grounds. Should you wish to contribute to this series, please feel free to email us via the ‘Contact’ page, which is linked at the top of this page. The first piece in this series takes a fond look back at Southbury Road, the late, lamented home of Enfield Football Club.” […]